My iPad was taking upwards of 45 - 75 minutes to do a complete sync. I found a utility that disables the backup portion of the sync which speeds it up significantly.
The utility works for all ios devices.
If you have an iPhone with OS 3.0 or greater and Exchange 2007 it will require you to enable a PIN on your device by default. To disable this you need to...
- Open the Exchange Management Console
- Expand the Organization Configuration
- Click on Client Access
- Double click your Activesync Mailbox Policy
- Click the Password tab
- Uncheck Require password and click OK
If your iPhone is already syncing with Exchange you'll need to remove the partnership for the setting to take effect.
- In the console tree, navigate to Recipient Configuration > Mailbox.
- Select a user, and then select Manage Mobile Device from the action pane. * The Manage Mobile Device dialog box will display a list of all devices that are configured for synchronization.
- Choose the device, Select Remove mobile device parternship and click Remove.
Note: The Manage Mobile Device link is only available in the action pane for users who've established a mobile phone partnership with the Exchange server.